Friday, October 23, 2009

54. EXCLAMATION POINTS

The joyful proclamation punctuation!

* Do you ever begin a message just with someone's name followed by an exclamation point? (For instance, "Phil!") To me, this says, "Hello! What a wonderful surprise it was to hear from you! I'm excited to think of you! I couldn't wait to share this message with you!" Give it a try sometime.
* Consider also how an exclamation point can turn a question into a confident observation. "What, a beautiful day it is?" becomes "What a beautiful day it is!"
* I am a fan of the single exclamation point. Any more than two exclamation points at a time is very dizzying to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil! What a terrific Simple Miracle!

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Among Those Counting

Past Month's Visitors