Wednesday, June 2, 2010

87. INSULATION

Keeps the cold from the hot and the warm from the cold

* On the way to work, this morning I went to Mass, and when I returned, my car was very warm. "Oh no," I worried, "Will the hamburger left over from Monday's barbecue that I was going to eat for lunch be spoiled?" Thinking about the adverse stomach effects of the ferocious bacteria that thrives in warm weather was not encouraging. But then I checked my insulated lunch bag and - the hamburger was still cold!
* My housemates and I say that our house is "poorly insulated." But, in reality, when we turn on the furnace in the winter or the air conditioning in the summer and shut all the windows, it feels much better in our house than it does outside.
* A similar simple miracle ("thermos") was originally coined by Phil List at NCSU during my last year of graduate school (2006-07).

No comments:

Among Those Counting

Past Month's Visitors